Thursday, April 24, 2008

“Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my God....I could be eating a slow learner.”

Quote by Linda Montgomery...awesome.

So Stephen has been working really hard on his Salon for school. Salon is not something that involves hair. Salon is the yearly food competition where students create the most interesting and complex recipes and painstakingly work to have a killer presentation. Taste is not a
factor...which I think is stupid. But what do I know. Because their menu is decided by their current "salon" class, Stephen, who is presently in Garde Manger, ( see previous post with pics of food for definitions) had to choose between cold or hot appetizers. He decided he wanted to go with hot appetizers and decided to work with shrimp. For real though...this is a serious competition. There are all sorts of rules about things looking "beautiful and attractive to eat". So the solution, (whoever came up with this really needs to rethink it in my humblest opinion) is to cover anything moist ( i.e. liquid, veggies, fruit, meat...ect.) in a gelatin film called aspic to "preserve" it's scrumptious aesthetic quality. YUK...that's all I have to say about that.
There are medals given to the highest scores and Stephen was hopeful. Unfortunately hope was not enough, although he did receive a very high score and was within 1 and half points of getting a medal. All the medals went to the desserts. The upswing was that Stephen's food became local celebrity later that evening with a newscast about the competition. Stephen's food is ALL OVER IT and I was very proud. See pics below of Stephen's food all plated up. Shrimp Nori Strudel Rolls

Shrimp Toast with Jicama Slaw

Grilled Shrimp Cocktail with Romesco Sauce

and our favorite.....Chipotle Shrimp Tostada Stacks ( doesn't that pic look like something out of Bon Appetite?!!)

Here is the video we are so proud of. : )



And just a little slide in...here are some pics from Anna recently swinging in her swing that her J-Paw made her. She loves her swing and her Daddy.There is that cheeseball grin again! Have a great week!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Good work, bro! Everything looks amazing. And... I gotta say I love that you have a little bit of Aunt Punch in there :-)!!