Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Weekend with kaylee...part one

So this past weekend, Kaylee, my niece, came to visit. As you know from past posts that Anna absolutely adores Kaylee. As do I. Here are some reason's why Kaylee is the best...around. (If you are singing the Karate Kid theme song....you ROCK)

#1 She makes Anna laugh ( see previous post and laugh really hard)

#2 She says things like," have a lovely day!" to random strangers. ( how awesome is that?
What 5 year old uses the word lovely?)

#3 She is amazingly resilient. This is a little girl who lost her mother a year ago this week, and
was uprooted and moved across the nation with a new family, with a new school and new friends. She learned to read in 9 months and can spell her full name when she couldn't tell you what an "A" looked like last March. (WOW.)

#4 She is part of one of my favorite memories that speak to the sweetness of a child. Quickly:

She came to visit one weekend after we had just moved to corpus, and she was having problems with associating the appropriate word in the right place, like, she would say "WHO are we having for dinner instead of WHAT are we having for dinner. She had these issues with the five W's. So she is visiting and I put her to bed in Anna's room. At about 3 in the morning I wake up because someone is talking. I hear in the monitor, Kaylee say, "who am I?" Then, she says, in a very sweet voice that sounded soothed, "Anna." I realized as I lay there that she meant, WHERE am I. She woke up and didn't know where she was, and seeing Anna's crib reminded her and she was comforted. UH...it was GREAT. It makes me smile just thinking about it.

Here are a few pics of Kaylee Marie that are my favorites.
And I HAVE to add these, because they are SO cool! You may think they are scary, but this is ALL natural, no filters or messing with the color contrast in Adobe. These were taken in the slide at Chic-fil-a this last Saturday. I love the way they turned out and I am thinking about painting them for her room. Very fun! I like how the pictures look like they are in progression.




Anyway, i hope you don't have nightmares about my red-orange child....but I think they are cool. : ) Have a great week..you will get more pictures of me and Kaylee soon and I am sure some stories, since we are flying to Dallas to hang with Aunt Karen next weekend.

2 comments:

The Johnstons said...

Love the pictures, love the pigtails! Have fun this weekend and a great week off. Hope to get to see y'all soon!

Jessalyn said...

Our next phone conversation - I want to know about Kaylee. Have a great Spring Break!